[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 11 17:10:38 UTC 2002

Tethys <tet at accucard.com> wrote:
> chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:
>
> >Java is a great language for getting stuff written quickly - lots of
> >nice utility classes like Vectors, HashMaps, etc.
>
> So everyone claims. Yet from personal experience (both from my own
> limited Java coding, and from observing our development dept), Java's
> much touted rapid development times are a complete myth. I could have
> written all of our internal systems in other languages significantly
> quicker than it's taken to do it in Java...

Someone else noted that there's a surfeit of Java programmers looking
for work at the moment, which could imply a shortage of Java vacancies.
In my companies experience, we can't get many *decent* Java programmers
despite this glut of them looking for work. So I think you'll find that
it's the quality of your Java programmers that is the issue, or perhaps
the approach your taking. The first place I programmed Java at, I was
the most productive person in the office. The difference was that I was
working with little more than a text editor and the online class docs.
My colleagues were stalled, fighting with the RAD package that they
believed would improve their productivity.

Besides, your "limited Java coding" is unlikely to give you a real feel
for the language and its library, so don't write it off as a failure. I
hated C   with a passion for years, until I learned how to use the STL.
Now I don't hate it, I just think it needs half the misfeatures ripped
out of it to leave a svelte, understandable language.Perhaps you might
see the underlying beauty of Java, and an ability to ignore its warts
with a little more exposure.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk