[Gllug] Make was Bison question

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Dec 5 10:39:50 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:05:38AM +0000, mriscott at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Make does still work with java, sort of.
>
> Each x.java file will produce at least an x.class file, which can be used
> as a target for make
>
> e.g.
>
> x.class : x.java
> 	javac x.java
>
> But the problem is that javac is java, so there is a large runup time
>  - javac *.java is a lot quicker than for x in *.java;do javac $x;done.
>
> This is the problem ant tries to remedy, I believe.

Nah, the problem lies with the fact that when you invoke javac on a .java
file, it will compile it *and all its dependencies*.  So, your for loop
above is slow, not just because javac is written in java, but because you
will end up compiling a lot of stuff multiple times.  This is what ant
fixes.

> We have a complicated build process here, which consists of various
> makefiles, some of which call ant to do java stuff - probably not the most
> efficient way to do stuff, but it works.

Sounds reasonable. (if you must use java - and to think I used to be a fan
of it... back about five or six years ago ;)

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk