[Gllug] ADSL (and DHCP) woes

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Dec 31 11:36:18 UTC 2002

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:

>Under Windows, the computer has the address assigned by BT Openworld,
>which seems strange. I expected the computer to have a 192.168.0.*
>address, and to use 192.168.0.1 (the modem's address) for both
>gateway and name server. Or the DHCP stuff would setup the correct
>nameservers.

You don't mention what your network configuration is under NetBSD,
only that it's different from Windows. In what way is it different?
Are you getting an IP via DHCP at all? Have you tried manually
configuring your NetBSD box to have the IP address that was
dynamically assigned to the Windows box?

>So has anyone used this ethernet modem with Linux? I'm at a loss as to
>what to do. I don't want to dual home a Windows machine and stick my
>network behind that ...

No need to resort to such drastic measures... Have you tried firing up
tpcdump and/or ethereal to see what the router is trying to do in the
way of DHCP?

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk