[Gllug] RAID 1 and RAID 5

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Dec 5 02:35:30 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:26, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
>>David Irvine wrote:
>

>>>At present you have raid 1.
>>
>>I did not know whether the kernel did a different format on the raid
>>devices for raid 1 and raid 5.
>>
> The kernel writes information specific to the personality when you run
> mkraid, so you can't convert. You can do as the previous poster
> suggested - break your mirror, add a new disk, set up a degraded raid5
> array, copy the system across, and destroy the broken mirror, and add
> the physical device back into the raid5 array with raidhotadd.
>
> Note that the contents of raidtab are pretty much ignored by everything
> except mkraid - the details are written to the raid superblock, so after
> the md device is created, raidtab becomes irrelevant.
Thanks - that explains why it will not accept another disk :-)

If I create a raid 5 array with 3 disks, may I add more and more disks
as long as I keep it raid 5?

I am going to create a raid 5 with three disks.  My brother has finally
got upset enough to install RH8 over the XP (that he paid for) as he has
had to reinstall XP every day this week as it keeps failing.  It will
lose the od file here and there and then demand to be re-registered.

The second time after he requested a new number he started getting calls
from Microsoft and FAST requesting an appointment regarding licencing
issues......

> Also remember not to make the entire disk raid5 - you need somewhere to
> put the kernel, and lilo doesn't understand raid5 yet....

The OS will remain on a separate disk

Thanks
Xander

--
God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk