[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 11 01:27:07 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 14:34, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 12:47 Europe/London, Matthew Thompson wrote:
>
> > Much though you and others may find this dis-tasteful I am going to
> > suggest Microsoft's .NET languages. Mostly VB.net and C#.net
>
> And Java. J2EE is a big nasty mess, but get to grips with Servlets
> (which is Not Hard) and you'll have a huge chunk of what people
> actually use under your belt. The Wrox book called something like
> "Professional J2EE Programming, 1.3 edition" is a real treasure for
> this.

I must admit that this has always confused me. I see the point of Java
in client-side applications, where the cross-platform nature of the
software is very useful, but Java on the server is another matter.

Is there any actual reason why I should choose to run server side
software on my web server, where I control the platform, in an emulated
environment guaranteed to slow everything to a crawl? Is there any sane
reason to choose Java over, well, *anything* else that's not running in
a JVM? I'm genuinely curious as to why so many people seem to have
bought into servlets, and I can only currently rationalize by assuming
that Intel are brainwashing people......

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk