[Gllug] fixing up my hard disk and mounting the CD-ROM

Michael Fothergill mikef20000 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 16:18:27 UTC 2002

Dear London Linux folks,

I recently discovered my PC was sick because the CPU (then a Cyrix 333 MHz)
was corrupting files and suffering from too small a heat sink.

Thus I had the naughty CPU removed and a new 1200 MHz with a big heat sink
in it stuck in its place.

I am running Red Hat Linux 7.1.  The PC has two disks on it, a small one 2GB
and a large one 10 GB.

It originally came with the small disk and I later added the larger one.

When I got it back from the repair shop it did work, but the large disk
still had some corruptions on it that meant that you had to run fsck on it
from time to time.

It seems to lose the /mnt/disk2 (tree directory name for large disk) node
connection and fsck seems to have to hook it up again.

By the way the Linux is installed on the small disk, and this small disk is
partitioned with Windows 98 on the "other half".

I put the second larger disk on originally to give me extra space to store
linux files and programs I was downloading.

I don't seem to need a lot of space for the Windows activities I get up to.

I have also noticed that the CDROM seems to be off limits to both Linux and
Windows....

I tried to mount it using on of the disk management routines that gnome
features but the complaint was "/mnt/cdrom - device unknown " or
something....

I also tried fiddling with Windows to detect the hardware again more
carefully
etc but with no great joy.

I ran df and found the various hard disks but not the cdrom; is there a
diagnostic command that can look for the CDROM?

Perhaps then I can try to mount it.

The repair shop people seemed to think that the corrupting effect of the old
CPU on my machine would mean that I would need to reinstall both Linux and
Windows from scratch.

I am hoping to get away without having to do that.

I think I might be able to cure the large disk fsck requirement by
re-formatting and re-partitioning it.

My hope is that this might "wipe" any funny corruptions away and let me
start afresh with a well behaved disk.

The people who changed the cpu ran test programs on my disks and showed that
there was nothing wrong with them.

The problem was with the cpu.

I would like help in "finding" my cdrom with linux and then mounting it and
getting it to work and in re-formatting and repartitioning the big 10 GB
disk to get it to be stable and not need to have fsck run on it from time to
time
when I boot up.

All the best,

Michael FOthergill