[Gllug] Website hosting recommendations?

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Dec 23 10:54:56 UTC 2002

Jason Clifford writes:

>For UKFSN I am working on a way to implement this without offering shell
>access (ie scp only).

If you get anywhere with this, let me know. While scp itself works fine
without shell access, it doesn't let you see the files on the remote
machine. You either know what and where they are, or you're stuck.
Fine for you and me, but no good for our clients who are lost without
a point and drool interface.

The windows scp clients (pscp excepted) tend to do and "ssh ls" to get a
list of files, and hence they need at least some form of shell access.
At the moment, I've given them a restricted shell (/bin/rksh on OpenBSD).
I suppose I could take that a bit further and chroot it as well. But
ideally, I'd like to be able to remove that altogether.

Does anyone know if sftp requires shell access? I haven't had sufficient
time to play around with it yet. The other solution I'm toying with is
writing a small shell that only supports the ls command and then exits.
But I'd rather have a cleaner solution...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk