[Gllug] Debian install from a SCSI CD-R drive

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 29 01:19:07 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:02:28AM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Dec 29 2002, rich wrote:
> > I seem to have hit on a goldmine of Debian information however :-)
> > My next question is, what's the recommended way to upgrade the
> > kernel?
>
> Compile it yourself with make-kpkg and install it with dpkg?
>
> > For some reason, doing an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' never
> > updates the kernel (possibly a good thing).
>
> Yep.
>
> > Do I really need to search out the appropriate packages by hand and
> > 'apt-get install' each one?
>
> apt-cache search kernel-image turns up some hits.

Yeah, that's what I was doing before. I just couldn't believe that
apt didn't update the kernel automatically (it does everything else!).
I'll have to have a look at the apt config as suggested by John Hearns.

I'm glad that other people are up in the middle of the night building
servers :-)

Actually this server install isn't going very smoothly. It's got
two 40 GB drives in it - I was planning on RAIDing them together
for the data storage because I don't trust drives these days. However
the BIOS is circa '98 and appears to hang when trying to detect
the drives. I'm not sure if the crash is related to the size of the
drives or not. Anyway, this is no problem as far as Linux is
concerned ... except for one 'minor' issue I just realised - I
can't boot the bloody machine from the hard disk!

Ho hum.

Also this motherboard doesn't have a way to boot without someone
physically pressing the front-panel reset switch. If you just power
it on then it does nothing. (In fact since I'm running this machine
completely caseless this involves sitting there with a jumper to
connect two contacts on the motherboard together for a brief
period of time). There doesn't appear to be a way to override this
anywhere. Other motherboards I've seen had a jumper that you could
set to override this stupid behaviour. Not the ideal thing for a
server. The motherboard is a J-MARK J-7LXA R2, salvaged of course.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj