[Gllug] Hi all

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Thu Dec 19 18:54:30 UTC 2002

At 17:04 19/12/02, you wrote:

>French, Alastair(Alastair.French at racalinstruments.com)@Thu, Dec 19, 2002
>at 04:07:52PM -0000:
> > Hi all
> >
> > On the subject of quiter fans etc, does anyone know where I can get a quiet
> > cpu fan for a AMD K6II-300. The cpu fits a super socket 7 motherboard, but
> > anyone who sells the quiet fans etc does not mention the super socket 7
> > type. Mine is about to give up and I need a new one ASAP.
>
>it may work without the fan.  i ran my dual PIII/800 for ages, before i
>realized that one of the CPU fans had given up the ghost.

Anybody thinking of dispensing with their CPU cooling arrangement should
have a look at the following article at Tom's Hardware: "Hot Spot - How
Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies"

http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/

Incidentally, IIRC, whereas AMD did really poor and were expected to burst
into flames after about a minute,  Pentiums didn't do so bad.  Or at least
there was much less of a fire risk.
When I first read it I thought for a long time before I bought AMD.  Now, I
still don't leave the thing on when I'm out.  Put the wind up me proper :)
Dermot