[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Mon Dec 16 20:20:12 UTC 2002

On Monday 16 Dec 2002 7:17 am, Nix wrote:
> (Actually, I disagree here; unless profiling shows an inefficiency hit,
> I prefer to use the algorithm for ease of movement of code between
> different containers. Your code should ideally not care what container
> it's implemented above, but should just care about iterators --- and
> algorithmic complexity of course.)

You should never rely on being able to change your containers around
willy-nilly - again cf. Effective STL (I forget the item number, and I also
forget the rationale, but it made perfect sense at the time. Don't you hate
it when you remember stuff, but can't remember the reasons? It makes for
really lame debating! :-)

--
Jonathan Harker
MUSAC

"Oh no, not again."
    - A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk