[Gllug] Will external CD/DVD-writers work with Knoppix?

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 12:45:44 UTC 2002

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:20:17 +0100 (CET)
> From: John Hearns <John.Hearns at cern.ch>
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Will external CD/DVD-writers work with Knoppix?
>
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Garry Heaton wrote:
>

>>2. If these devices can be accessed via such a distribution is there any
>> OS CD/DVD-burning software available which can be run from the
>>command-line? The reason I would like to be able to recover/backup data
>>on machines which have less than the 87Mb RAM required by Knoppix to run
>

> Maybe have a look at Mondo Rescue?
> http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/
>
> There are dpgs available.
>
> But I DO hate to be sarcastic (really).
> Why are yobacking up data on machines booted by Knoppix?
> If it is user data, or user home directories,
> why not have a central server and NFS moun the user dirs?
> The install a hard-disk based distro on the server and back up.
> Then again - you know what you are trying to achieve, not me!
>

> John H

Sorry, forgot to include details.

My intended use for this CD-writer is mainly to do data recovery and
backups for stranded Windows home/small biz users who either:

1. Want to backup a small amount of data but have no CD-RW.
2. Have a failing HD or unbootable 'doze installation and need to get
their data off.

Agreed, I could take the machine back to my place and install a NIC then
do everything on my LAN but I will probably need to do such a small job
onsite for single PC home users where this may not be an option.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk