[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Dec 13 16:09:45 UTC 2002

On Thursday, Dec 12, 2002, at 22:49 Europe/London, Chris Ball wrote:
> I don't agree with this at all.  C# seems to me like 'Java done
> properly', and certainly exhibits no traits of a scripting or
> high-level
> language.  It's a surprisingly nice, expressive language to code in.

MS have had a long time to learn from Java's weaknesses. One would hope
that C# will encourage Sun to fix some of the issues that the language
currently has. Tiger should be interesting, and once attribute oriented
programming becomes possible in Java (forget the JSR number. Something
like 175) then life will be a lot more pleasant.

> I didn't realise that there was a free C# compiler for Windows; the
> only
> one I was aware of was Visual C#, which comes with Visual Studio .NET
> and costs about a thousand pounds.  Do you have any more details?

It's called either Rotor or SSCLI.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/
sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/002/097/msdncompositedoc.xml

Sorry if that URL gets broken, but it should take you to the download
page.

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk