[Gllug] RAID 1 and RAID 5

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 22:25:58 UTC 2002

Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>>The raidtab states raid 5 but only has two disks.  Does the kernel set
>>it up for degraded raid 5 or does it set it up for raid 1 and ignore the
>>raid level in the raidtab file?
>

> What does /proc/mdstat say?

It seems that the raidtools have seen two devices and set up raid 1

I can add new devices to the raid array; however it does not provide any
more space available and does not see the new device as an additional asset.

It is listed in /proc/mdstat

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid5 hdg1[2] hdc1[1] hda1[0]
       120060736 blocks level 5, 32k chunk, algorithm 2 [2/2] [UU]

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid5 hdc1[1] hda1[0]
       120060736 blocks level 5, 32k chunk, algorithm 2 [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

All seems a little strange to me.
--
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his
mouth.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk