[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Sudhir Anand anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 13:31:16 UTC 2002

>BTW, I thought you were going to quit the list?

You think too much.  I will decide when to leave. :), unless i am barred.
Are you an administer threatening me :) ?

>>Since you want to indulge in word play,
>
>The mysterious transmutation of a "fact" into an opinion is the word
>play here, I think.

Yes.

>>that on my Pc and  my experience, KDE has performed
>satisfactorily and been
>>a transparent tool in hepling me achieve my objectives.  On
>Gnome, however,
>>I was struggling with the environment/windows manager or
>whatever you want
>>to call it.
>
>I want to call a desktop environment a desktop environment and a
>window manager a window manager. If you find out what they are,
>perhaps you can do the same.

Ok with me.

>>installed Linux on close to ten Pc's at home, both desktops
>and laptops.  I
>>know this is not a huge number
>
>No, it's not. So perhaps you may come closer to understanding why
>people like me who have done literally hundreds of installs (not all
>on x86 machines, either, and even within the x86 machines on widely
>disparate hardware with equally different objectives) find anecdotes
>stated as facts ridiculous.

I disagree.

If on PCs that I install Linux/KDE/Gnome are off the shelf and it is
difficult to use Gnome but KDE is easier, then KDE is a more stable
platform.  Installing a Gnome on many more PCs does not imply that it
stable.  Look at how many PCs are intalled with windows.  Installing windows
is very easy.  After installation however, I and many others find the OS to
be unreliable and frankly unstable.  IT managers managing windows will no
doubt quote the vast number of PCs with Windows installed are used daily in
their offices to justify the stability if Windows.

In our office where Windows is the desktop platform of choice, the number of
times Pcs crash is unbelieveable but the IT department is convinced that it
is safe and stable OS.  They will also claim that Windows has been installed
on 2000+ computers but will not accept that users such as me have to
struggle with our PCs.  In all the companies I have worked with, the same
attitude prevades.

>>I attended the User Group meeting on December 7.  The
>presentation on Gnome
>>was in my opinion very poor and did nothing to inspire
>confidence in using
>>it as my enviroment / windows front end / [take your pick].
>
>Obviously a poor presentation mystically affects the quality of the
>software it is made about.

No, not of itself.  The presentation did spell out the development and
release of Gnome was not satisfactory.  Steps have been taken to address
this issue.  Given that the speaker indicated such problems with Gonme and
my own adverse experiences, I would be reluctant to use Gnome.

>>My other gripe is on what I consider to be personal insults,
>for which there
>>is no need and to which I am sensitive.
>
>That's OK, because there haven't been any comments about you yourself,
>merely about your facts^H^H^H^H^H opinions.

That is your understanding.

>>Being an immigrant I have got used
>>to racial and other insults hurled at me on the streets.  I
>would like to
>>make clear that I am NOT accusing anyone here of using racial abuse.
>
>Sure. So why bring it up in an environment where no-one would
>otherwise have any idea what you look like?
>
>From my foreign sounding name? Or do you know of any Anglo-Saxons called
Sudhir :).

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk