[Gllug] Cheapest possible diskless nodes

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Fri Dec 13 01:33:27 UTC 2002

At 16:57 12/12/02, you wrote:

>John Hearns writes:
>
> >I saw some PCchips motherboards on offer on TCR the other day for
> >fifty quid.
>
>I can *highly* recommend the Elita K7S5A motherboard.

If that's the ECS K7S5A, and it sure sounds like it, I second that
recommendation.  Had no problems - using it with a Duron 950. Seems to get
on fine with Linux.  I don't think much of the onboard sound and the LAN
never worked for me - but that could be me.  Stuck in a £10 LAN card and it
works great.
Can't remember the price but if it was much I wouldn't have got it.
www.tomshardware.com  recommended it. Said it was very stable.
There's a lot of stuff on the Internet about it. Some people love it others
hate it. So there may be some duff copies around.
There are different opinions on the forum at
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5aguide/
It's got a big fan club in that forum.  That site has tons of other info
abt the board.
Totenham Crt Rd comp fairs usually have many copies - not all have the
onboard LAN.  Will take either SDRAM or DDRAM. I've had it a year - if I
was in the same boat again I would buy the same one.
Can't say more than that.

Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk