[Gllug] Re: Shutdown of the Internet in the UK? - OT

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Fri Dec 27 14:27:06 UTC 2002

Wouldnt it make more sense if you wanted to shut down the internet in the
uk, just to shut down telehouse and a few other big datacenters since almost
every UK bound packet travels through them.

The only problem with using phone lines is that if the government wants to
control information its very easy for you to be disconnected. Bt lines are
bad enough at the best of time, but if there was an attach the chances of
them working would be slim to none, what you would need is sneakernet
between a few core hubs say 4 in london, 1 in Brum, Manchester, Leeds,
Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness. You would then have a number of
physical carriers carrying data between each one say once a day, each one
updating the other, in the event of one node failing then the routes would
just be adjusted until that node was back up again.

Each major node could have a number of seed nodes within the nearby area, so
say for Birmingham, you would have smaller nodes in Walsaw, Wolverhampton,
coventry etc which would update from the birmingham node etc.

<political rant>

Can we claim refugee status in other countries yet? Can we play the 'If i go
home I'm likely to disappear (From the internet) thanks to our glovepuppet
warmongering government' card or do we still need to start making friends
with anybody who owns a nuclearbunker.net *hint*

</rant>

/me thinks about hiring a boat and sailing to the middle of the pacific to
watch the fireworks.

Have a nice hogmany

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk