[Gllug] how to check for a transparent proxy

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Mon Dec 2 08:23:44 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 05:31:16PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:33:39PM +0000, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> > >
> > > Go to http://pdr.me.uk/t.php and find the bit that says "REMOTE_ADDR"
> > > and if that is your IP then there is no proxying, otherwise the external
> > > IP of your proxy will be there.
> >
> > A decent transparent proxy will rewrite source addresses, so
> > this will NOT tell you if there's a transparent proxy in the
> > way.
>
> This is contradictory.  If it is rewriting source addresses then the
> REMOTE_ADDR according to the web server WILL be the proxy's.

No, I meant it would rewrite source addresses on the way out.
Thus from the p.o.v. of the transparent proxy, the source address
127.0.0.1 would be rewritten to the original source address.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because it looks like it was nothing
to do with proxies anyway :-)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm