[Gllug] Debian install from a SCSI CD-R drive

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 29 00:39:57 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:03:17PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> At 19:05 28/12/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >I'm using the "compact" kernel, which is reporting:
>
> See alse: http://people.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/

Thanks Martin: I got it working. Actually, I noticed the
"vanilla" kernel and that turned out to contain the advansys
driver, so I didn't need to download the above drivers, but
it's useful to know this in future.

I seem to have hit on a goldmine of Debian information however :-)
My next question is, what's the recommended way to upgrade the
kernel? For some reason, doing an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' never
updates the kernel (possibly a good thing). Do I really need
to search out the appropriate packages by hand and 'apt-get install'
each one?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm