[Gllug] HP Photosmart 7550

Eric Lee ericlee at labourstart.org
Sun Dec 29 08:46:01 UTC 2002

I'm tearing what's left of my hair out trying to get this new printer to
work with my Linux PC.

According to Linuxprinting.org, this printer works 'perfectly' with
Linux, which is one reason I bought it.  See:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PhotoSmart_7550

I connected the USB cable, and checked that I'm running GhostScript 7.05
(which supports hpijs), and hpijs, latest version - 1.3, both downloaded
and set up today. Running gs -h and hpijs -h confirm this is the case.
According to the HP Linux Inket Driver Project, this should be enough:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

But I just noticed this --

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/patchfix.php#rh7273

-- is this something I need to do?

I'm running RedHat 7.3 and had previously had no problem printing to an
old Cannon bubblejet.

Photosmart 7550 is NOT one of the options in the printconf-gui list;
I've tried "PostScript Printer" and at least one of the other PhotoSmart
versions, but no luck so far.  I just get pages that read:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: Gnore Print Version 0.35
%%Creation Date: D:2002122710594

Or variations of the same. Each of these lines is indented with a tab.
And then blank pages.

I can, however, print the ASCII test page.  (Prints out This is the Red
Hat Printtoll ASCII Test Pge.)

I've been through linuxprinting.org, the HP pages on sourceforge, and
all my books (Running Linux, Learning Red Hat Linux, Red Hat Linux 7.3
Bible, Red Hat Linux 7 for Dummies) and can't make head or tail of what
I'm supposed to do.  I even downloaded the PPD file for Photosmart 7550,
but don't understand what to do with it.  Tried working with CUPS and
got lost.

I don't know -- seems to me that Linux for the desktop may not be quite
ready for prime time.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Eric

--