[Gllug] Richard Stallman talk

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 11:46:37 UTC 2002

On , 19 Feb 2002, Nix wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Richard Clamp spake:
>>I'll give you that they were clear, but they were so oversimplified
>>and self-serving (you can't copyright software, but go ahead and
>>copyright works of entertainment, because I don't really deal in
>>that)
>That's not reasoning I've ever heard him use; more `I can't comment on
>entertainment copyright because it's not my field'.

Also, you don't ordinarily need to violate the copyright on an
artistic work in order to improve your own work. In order to learn
from a program, I need the source code and may even wish to copy and
modify sections of it; in order to learn from a book, I just need to
read the book.

Fan works based on existing characters and settings are another
matter; but I believe that should always be legal if done on a
non-profit basis (in a way similar to the Japanese doujinshi
culture) - RMS wants all non-commercial copyright violation to be
legal, so I suppose he agrees.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk