[Gllug] Spam

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 23:01:31 UTC 2002

> I run my own mail server, which helps; but the parts that do the magic
> are Mail::SpamAssassin[1] and Razor[2].

Allow me to second this recommendation. Vipul's Razor in particular is
very nifty (while SpamAssassin can easily be replaced with something
like, say, the SpamBouncer, there is no real replacement for the Razor.)

> .. Razor, which takes a SHA-1 hash of your incoming e-mail and compares
> it with a database of hashes that people have submitted as being of
> spam.  If a spam is non-dynamic and just being thrown around all over
> the place, chances are it'll be caught by Razor.

If it isn't, and you submit a mail as spam, and you read mail offline,
it's time to get hacking Razor, because it doesn't support that yet.

(this is also on my far too long todo list.)

> So, yeah.  Some of my mailboxes get lots of spam, but I really don't see
> it anymore; it's all procmailed to =spam.  The most notable distinction
> between my method and yours is that I never reject an e-mail from
> someone, and there's no chance of a legimate message being returned.

I never even reject certain spam; I just file it in an oubliette, check
that every few months, and only bother checking the subject lines.

--
`The classical music makes him feel tranquil and loved so he performs
 regularly. What a life for a guy. He gets to make love every day with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk