[Gllug] Procmail

Harry nmeweb at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 22:47:07 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stig Brautaset" <stigbrau at start.no>

> Harry, if it was simple to weed out spam, everybody would do it ;)
>
> Can you post a typical message header *after* it has been weeded by
> outlook and I'm sure someone will have a go at it.

I have started to weed on the type of mail particularly
multipart/alternative.

> For now, this recipe kills all mail sent by people/addresses in the the
> file ~/Mail/blacklist. It works by first extracting the values of four
> header-fields and the matching them to the lines in ~/Mail/blacklist
> one by one.
>
> :0 :
> * ? formail -cx"From" -cx"From:" -cx"Sender:" -cx"X-Envelope-Sender:" |
fgrep -is -f ~/Mail/blacklist
> ~/Mail/spam

I do like this and I have tested it with my set up and it works a treat. I
have tried to find a list of recognised domains that spam comes from to
utilise this as I can name a few who send me crap on a regular basis. I
would definitely have a look at your file especially if it is commented for
a numpty like me.

I have thought about ORBZ etc but I like to do it myself and have a list
that I can modify at will etc. I have also noticed that you can send spam to
ORBZ complete with headers and they check it. Is anyone else doing this as
it seems like a good way to make sure that the open relays get caught quick.

Harry

---

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk