[Gllug] RE: Gllug digest, Vol 1 #1660 - 10 msgs

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 14:46:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:10:41PM -0000, Jarvis, Richie wrote:
> Ok folks - i have been lurking (and occasionally posting) on here for a
> while now - I keep seeing that (a) most of the regular posters use
> Debian, and (b) they keep mentioning something called 'apt'.  Now - call
> me a lazy barsteward - but I use redhat, and don't know wot apt is....

I'm sure others will give a good description of apt. This is probably a
good place to start though:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

Note that the apt backend has now been ported by Connectiva so that it
works with rpm files (rather than dpkg ones). The homepage is at
http://distro.conectiva.com/projetos/42/ If you want to get started using
it on your RedHat system see either http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/ or
http://freshrpms.net/apt/ Works well on my 7.2 system. IMO other people
may find Ximian's RedCarpet more useful (especially if they're already
using that), or RedHat's up2date. They all offer slightly different things
though.

HTH

--
Stuart