[Gllug] MySQL 3.23.41 on RH7.2 - 2nd attempt

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Mon Feb 25 15:52:00 UTC 2002

--- Reçu de       RVIDOI.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77    25/02/02 16.52

All,

Apologies in advance for the length of this mail. I have included
my output just in case someone sees that I haven't done something
that I should have.

Installed RH7.2 and choose to install MySQL as part of my setup.
No X server running. I can't connect to MySQL or start the daemon.

I followed the MySQL manual for the post installation instructions
as you can see below. All works on my RH6.2 computer (slightly
earlier release of MySQL) and files are in the same places on
both, so I'm very confused.

OUTPUT
------
[root at thinkpad root]# /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
Installing all prepared tables
020224 21:33:41  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h thinkpad -p password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the
'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at
https://order.mysql.com

[root at thinkpad root]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h thinkpad -p
password
Enter password:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'thinkpad' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'thinkpad' (111)'
Check that mysqld is running on thinkpad and that the port is
3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet thinkpad 3306'
[root at thinkpad root]# telnet thinkpad 3306
Trying 192.168.10.75...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.10.75: Connection refused
[root at thinkpad root]# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
[1] 1367
[root at thinkpad root]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/var/lib/mysql
020224 21:35:43  mysqld ended

[1]+  Done                    /usr/bin/safe_mysqld
[root at thinkpad root]# mysql -u root
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
[root at thinkpad root]# mysql -u root -h localhost
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
[root at thinkpad root]# mysql -u root mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
[root at thinkpad root]# mysql -u root -h thinkpad -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'thinkpad' (111)
[root at thinkpad root]# hostname
thinkpad
[root at thinkpad root]#
----------
END OUTPUT

I'm not sure if it might be a hostname issue. I have never set my
hostname through editing files and I think I cocked up.

On my RH6.2 /etc/hosts is:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.10.25   libretto

On my RH7.2 it is:
127.0.0.1       thinkpad localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.10.75   thinkpad - I only added this line to /etc/hosts

Using the hostname command I just put the computer name
hostname thinkpad
Should I be adding the domain?

Once again apologies for the length,

Matt