[Gllug] IDE CD burners

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Sun Feb 24 20:27:21 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:

>>Um. I thought 'supported by Linux' was kind of implicit in what I wrote.
>
>Yeah, but there's degrees of "supported by Linux". When it claims
>Linux support on the box, and even includes the Linux drivers on a
>disk, you think you're OK. The fact that the Tekram support in the
>kernel only supports certain models isn't mentioned. Nor is the
>fact that the patch for the unsupported models is flaky. To quote
>the driver maintainer:
>
>	I would currently not suggest to use this driver, if you are
>	dealing with important data, which you don't have a backup
>	of! YOU RISK DATA LOSS!
>
>In short, if you're buying a Takram card, make sure it's one of
>the ones based on an AMD chipset, rather than a Tekram set...

AMD? Thought the Tekrams only use their own for low end, and the
NCR/Symbios/LSI chipsets.

BTW, there are some really nice LSI 53C1010 based 2xU160 cards floating
around the fairs at the moment for < £60. Have 64bit PCI interface to boot
(which work fine in 32 bit slots.) Very nice by all accounts.

Cards made by company called Domec, IIRC.

--
    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk