Touchtyping (was Re: [Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 21 12:04:50 UTC 2002

On 2/21/02, 11:42:26 AM, "Wulf Forrester-Barker" <wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk>
wrote regarding Re: Touchtyping (was Re: [Gllug] bash / go to beginning of
line):

> I can also see the advantages of then being able to use my touch typing
> skills to build a vocabulary of other keyboard movement commands ( w, b,
> $, ^, etc...).

There is a very simple syntax for most Vi commands (essentially, [number
of iterations]action[movement]).  So to delete the next two words is 2dw,
while to delete to the end of the line is d$ and delete this line and the
next 3 is 3dj and so on.  The other useful rule is that the uppercase
version of a command usually does the reverse of the lowercase one (where
this is intuitive and convenient), so f finds the next instance of a
character to the right and F to the left.  U is used to uppercase
characters while u is used to lowercase them (makes sense once you think
about it).  Know that and you can quickly make use of new commands.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk