[Gllug] Hello

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Feb 8 16:34:22 UTC 2002

On Friday, 8 Feb 2002, Peter Andersen wrote:
>My name is Peter, I came across your details on the web.

Now, the funny thing is, this message was sent to a mailing list. And
mailing lists tend not to have personal details for you to find on the
Web; or to grant permission for random recruiters to send mail to them.

What this mailing list does have is a few hundred readers - most of
them working in the tech industry, some of them looking for new jobs
on it - your ideal target audience, really. Unfortunately, right now
they are thinking "James Harvard International Ltd. Liars. Spammers."
Not a good impression to make.

Furthermore, I would hazard a guess that many of them will find this
funny enough that they will tell their acquaintances, being sure to
mention the name of the company that tried such a transparent ruse. I
know I have.

I'm a bit better at finding details, so I've CCed this to
<md at jhint.com> (found from <http://www.jhint.com/contact_us.html> - by
the way, I notice a broken "mailto:hr at jhint.com.html" on that page.
Perhaps you should start by hiring a Web designer who can check their
own work?) just in case the company as a whole cares to know what its
staff get up to.

>If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it
>and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it
>and notify the sender. This message is for the named person's use
>only.

Whoops. Which named person would that be?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk