[Gllug] tar.gz

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Feb 1 16:32:54 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 12:39, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommended method for backing up a Detain box. I have a
> CD writer and have been copying the home, etc, boot, directories onto disk
> at night. I have also run into errors when trying to copy everything from
> the disk into an ISO image on the hard drive hence I am only backing up a
> couple of directories. I imagine it is something to do with the fact that
> you cannot copy file actively in use. Are there directories that are not
> really required to be backed up like /tmp.

Oh,
and of course you should download and try Arkeia
http://www.arkeia.com

We use this every day. I think it is very good.

It is a commercial product, but is free (as in beer)
for one Linux server and 2 client machines.

You will need a SCSI tape drive though.
How much are DATs these days?

But of course, to go with your Tbyte RAID and gigabit
home network, you will have to find room in the basement for
http://sc.jpl.nasa.gov/storage/storage_tek/silo.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk