LSB and FHS (was Re: [Gllug] tar.gz)

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 3 00:16:49 UTC 2002

There's a guide on the Sun Big Admin site that recommends just sym-linking
/opt and /usr and be done with the whole charade... Of course I printed it
so that when I lose my copy I'll have no idea where to get a new one (or any
way to post a link :)

Are there any particular drawbacks to this plan? I imagine it's potentially
possible to have files being over-written; but it does seem to clear up a
lot of confusion. I know of at least one product that installs in different
directories on different UNIXes. As I tend to use different UNIXes (3-6
different versions depending on how you count) every day I've sym-linked
them into Frankenstein-ien septuplets. In this case I know that the
installations are otherwise sane so there's no weird jumping on files.

I know one person who suggested using hard links where possible because
they're more efficient - but I prefer the clarity of symlinks. Comments on
style here?

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk