[Gllug] Lonix - London Linux User Group 'Open Source Software ' - Eric S Raymond Talk

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Feb 28 12:17:25 UTC 2002

On Thu 28 Feb, tet at accucard.com bloviated thus:

> Aaah, yes. That'll be the fabled "give it away free, they'll come to
> me for support because I know the product" business plan that worked
> so well for all those dot coms :-)

The dot coms had NO business plan.  That was the problem.

> It's not impossible to make money from GPL software, but it *is* very
> difficult, and virtually unheard of on a large scale.

There are an enormous number of small and large consultants out there
making a fortune from the free software.  They make money from
services and save their clients money by not having to pay license
fees to a third party.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not
watch them in the making.
- Otto von Bismarck

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk