[Gllug] ntalk

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Mon Feb 4 21:04:21 UTC 2002

* Paul Brazier <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> spake thus:
> I'm needing something to enable me to talk to someone when we're both
> logged in via ssh to a remote server. I've looked at talk/ntalk but it
> seems (documentation is a bit sparse) that you need portmap running to
> use it, but I've disabled this for security reasons.
>
> Is it risk-free to run portmap if I restrict it totally for local use
> only or is even this unadvisable (the server is connected directly to
> the internet)?
>
> Also is there some better tool that anyone can recommend that does the
> same thing? (commandline chatting to someone else logged in to the same
> server).

Not ideal, but I have been known to use "screen -x" for this. Don't
remember whether it worked if logged in as two different users, or
whether we were logged in as the same user. Don't forget to comment out
whatever you're saying ;)

Stig

--
brautaset.org
Registered Linux User 107343

``Oh, how I wish `undo' was ported to everyday life.''

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk