[Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 20:28:03 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, 20 Feb 2002, Jonathan Harker wrote:
>Christ, can someone please explain to me what is so wrong with using the
>arrow keys in vi? Fine if you're running *nix on keyboards or terminals
>without arrow keys, but if you're using vi on a PC with an AT keyboard
>manufactured any time after about 1983 I don't see the point in NOT using
>arrow keys...?

Three reasons spring to mind. Firstly, vi's a basic editor (powerful,
but it's not exactly Emacs), and you're likely to have to use it in
awkward disaster situations. Such as only having a serial terminal
with a funny keyboard to work with.

Secondly, on a slow connection, vi can misinterpret the arrow keys.

Thirdly, the hjkl keys are more efficient once you are used to them,
since they don't require as much movement of the hands across the
keyboard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk