[Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line

Kate Harris kat at tuatha.org
Wed Feb 20 22:25:01 UTC 2002

Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Bruce Richardson also wrote:
> > Modern clones of vi (and readline in vi mode) do recognise the arrow
> > keys, if not Home and End, and some heretics actually use them.  If they
> > use them in command mode then they should be branded but using them in
> > editing mode is a capital offence.
> <accelerant>
> Christ, can someone please explain to me what is so wrong with using the
> arrow keys in vi? Fine if you're running *nix on keyboards or terminals
> without arrow keys, but if you're using vi on a PC with an AT keyboard
> manufactured any time after about 1983 I don't see the point in NOT using
> arrow keys...?
> </accelerant>

Yesbut... if you are using a PC with an AT keyboard, manufactured after
1983, you could well be sshed into a remote box and find, as I often do,
that the arrow keys just plain don't work at the other end for one
reason or another.  Getting into the habit of using hjkl rather than the
arrow keys can go quite a way to reducing the amount of frustration you
would encounter - and believe me it is bloody irritating when it happens
- to find that using the arrow keys results in all sorts of rubbish like
extra lines appearing, with a single character in them in edit mode.

Using the arrow keys is all well and good under happy circumstances, but
having got used to them and not used to hjkl, when you really do end up
needing vi under more pressurised and difficult conditions, as David
said,
you'll been in a less frustrated state had you been used to hjkl
instead.

http://www.totkat.org/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk