[Gllug] OT Render-on-Demand / SuperPuter (ad - kind of...)

Axel Segebrecht axel.segebrecht at adamandeve.it
Wed Feb 6 13:26:47 UTC 2002

Apologies to everyone for posting this to the list but
it's important to me and I think it's quite interesting to
some people as well.

"Good news everyone..."

After a long struggle to raise finance for our super computer
project (Monnsta), we are now almost set-up and ready to go :))

We will be offering render-on-demand (ROD) services and remote
data backup to SMEs across the UK and Europe within the
next 2 to 3 months.

Monnsta will have more than 96 nodes of 100% Linux computing
power! Featuring dual top-of-the-range AMD Athlon CPUs per node
with 1GB DDR RAM per CPU, an attached file server/remote
backup system with over 2TB of (mirrored) disc space and all
connected to a 2MBit/s pipe!(*)

There will be FREE computer time for Open Source developers
and also a FREE webhosting service for artists and geeks ;)

We need some feedback to make it all happen for good though.
If anyone works for or has contacts to people / businesses who
might be interested in our services, I would be grateful
if they could either drop me an email or snail-mail stating
their interest! That's it and there is NO commitment whatsoever
either.

If you don't know anyone who might want to use us, maybe you
want to for FREE <g> In which case, please drop me an email
telling me why you think you would need such massive
computing power.

There will be limited capacity for the FREE offer! Plus it's
for people who are either developing software (released under
the GPL) or are freelancing media artists (only for ARTwork
and not for paid-for-jobs).

Besides all that, we will need to test-drive the system and
anyone who is interested in giving our Monnsta a run for it's
money - mailto:axel.segebrecht at adamandeve.it :)

Cheers,
Axel

---

(*) Some pricing info on the ROD service:
    6 hrs (= 1 unit) charged at £295 excluding VAT

    Some more pricing info on the data storage:
    1GB mirrored space for £95 excluding VAT

... that's at least what we think we will charge at the moment.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk