[Gllug] tar.gz

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Fri Feb 1 16:28:03 UTC 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 robin.c.smith at bt.com wrote:

>I use scsi tape SONY SDT-9000 and simple tar:-
>
>cd /; tar cvf /dev/st0 --exclude proc * ; echo $?
>
>The cd / is important as the tar is relative so that you can easily restore
>files to another directory
>without playing with chroot.

Using find and cpio may be easier.

# find -xdev <localmounts> -print | cpio -oa -H odc
where <localmounts> are the local mount points in /etc/fstab

eg.

# cd /
# find -xdev . usr space -print | cpio -oa -H odc | gzip -9 > /dev/???

Or you could just pipe the output to cdrecord if it'll be small enough.

The benefits of find -xdev (or find -x on non-GNU find) is that mount
points are automatically ignored.

--
    /"\
    / \