[Gllug] sieve scripts

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 02:07:27 UTC 2002

Sent to original poster, and cc'ed to gllug, as I received the message
through gllug!!!

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 18:41, Christoph Steinbeck wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I found your thoughtful comments on sieve in the Gllug mailing list.
> Since I can't get sieveshell running,

You're not alone, no-one else can make it work either :-). There's
another script called installsieve with cyrus - I've had that one
working in the past, though it claims to be deprecated in favour of
sieveshell. As of Cyrus 2.0.16, sieveshell doesn't build properly, and
doesn't work, to the best of my knowledge.

> You can also just dump it in the right
> directory if you have root access to the box :-) - sieveshell is not the
> most reliable of things, as the perl modules it depends on don't always
> build right. The sieve implementation in the server is solid though, I
> use it for all my mail.
>
> Just: What would that directory be?
> My imap.conf reads
>
> sievedir: /var/imap/sieve

Assuming sieveusehomedir is not set, that will be the directory. It
defaults to /usr/sieve, if not explicitly set, IIRR.

> and this dir contains directories

> etc.
>
> so probably one could copy the script for user "stein" into
> /var/imap/sieve/s/stein/
> but this does not seem to work. Is there anything else?
> Wrong directory that I thought of?
> Anything to activate the script?

Correct directory. Sieve allows for multiple scripts, one of which is
the "active" script. Copy your sieve script into the
/var/imap/sieve/s/stein/ dir, and then make sure the permissions are set
right, as it's picky about them.

The stein directory should be mode 700, ownership cyrus.root, and any
sieve scripts in it should be mode 600, ownership cyrus.root. To
activate a sieve script in the directory, make a symlink to it called
"default". If the sieve script is not syntactically correct, it'll fail,
but will whine in the logfiles.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk