[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

E. R. Vaughan e.vaughan at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 17 21:07:19 UTC 2002

> Doesn't calling it a GNU/Linux users group discriminate against people who
> use Perl/Linux

What's Perl usually compiled with?

> My beliefs in what's right and good are not altered by names. I couldn't
care
> if Richard Stallman called his organisation AOL/Time-Warner/GNU.

RMS has never said the Linux system is called GNU/Linux. People who think he
does do not listen/read carefully. He *asks* people to call it that for PR, as
to quote him from last tuesday "we really need it". The point is, GNU needs
publicising. Also, Linux can run without X-Windows, it can't compile without
gcc.

How about "GNU and Linux London Users Group"? (i.e. without the /)

The term "Greater London" is archaic anyway. I think this would be a great
gesture and might even get a mention on Linux Today or something...

Emil

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk