[Gllug] Procmail

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Mon Feb 25 14:55:47 UTC 2002

* Jackson, Harry <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> spake thus:
> Hi all.
>
> How can I do the following in procmail.
>
> I have all my mail from work forwarded to my internet mail address but
> because it goes through outlook it seems to strip some of the headers.
> I receive the odd spam which automatically gets posted to my yahoo
> address and when I use fetchmail it comes down and procmail does not
> recognise it as such. I have tried to write it so that anything from
> paid4survey and a couple of others gets ditched but this string seems
> to get stripped from the headers when it comes via outlook. Is the
> only alternative to use scoring to weed this sort of crap from my mail
> box and does anyone have any decent scoring examples or good or
> configurable recipes that a SIMPLE MAN could FOLLOW.

Harry, if it was simple to weed out spam, everybody would do it ;)

Can you post a typical message header *after* it has been weeded by
outlook and I'm sure someone will have a go at it.

For now, this recipe kills all mail sent by people/addresses in the the
file ~/Mail/blacklist. It works by first extracting the values of four
header-fields and the matching them to the lines in ~/Mail/blacklist
one by one.

:0 :
* ? formail -cx"From" -cx"From:" -cx"Sender:" -cx"X-Envelope-Sender:" | fgrep -is -f ~/Mail/blacklist
~/Mail/spam

Should I send you a copy of my el-mucho commented spam-weeding
procmail-file? It catches almost all of my spam, with very few false
positives, and has features such as blacklists and whitelists builtin.
All that is needed is to change a few variables (e.g. my name for
yours).

Stig

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk