[Gllug] Multiple logins with NIS/YP

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Feb 13 00:59:03 UTC 2002

I think more to the point is why restrict people to one login at a time? And
if you do restrict people how do you handle a zombie session if/when one
occurs?

At this late hour I can't think of how to make a secure means of managing
lock files without making some little daemon running as a special
(non-login) user to write/remove lock files for the machine (even one for
the whole network if you're not using file sharing for some silly reason). I
think it's past my bed time; there must be a simpler answer. Maybe a SUID
script and careful file permissions would suffice (although I don't really
like SUID scripts on principle).

<pedant>
I also think that David's got his nomenclature mixed up and while it's true
that slaves don't know what other slaves are doing most machines wouldn't be
slaves (in any sane set-up). Slaves replicate the NIS files; whereas most
machines would be better described as clients. All the doco that uses slaves
and YP/NIS together uses it exclusively for something that could be roughly
termed a proxy.
</pedant>

Ooooh it is late; I'm getting all picky about pointless crap.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk