[Gllug] Backup recommendations

jim at lateral.net jim at lateral.net
Tue Feb 12 15:12:19 UTC 2002

> My machine room at home had a power failure the other day. Fortunately,
> pretty much everything came back up without too many problems thanks to
> the wonders of ext3. A couple of ATX power supplies came back up in
> suspend mode when power was restored, but the rest were fine.
>
> But it made me think that I really ought to get around to putting a
> decent backup solution in place. At the moment, I'm backing up to
> CD and DVD-RAM, but neither are really suitable. They're not large
> enough to do a backup without a media change, which means that I
> get too lazy to do them as frequently as I should, and if the power
> failure had caused any serious damange, then my latest backup would
> still have left me without a lot of my more recent stuff.

> So, I'm looking for a tape backup that will let me do everything in one
> hit, in the hopes that I'll be more motivated to do them regularly, and
> I'm therefore looking for recommendations. As previously mentioned, I'm
> a SCSI bigot, so obviously that's what I'm looking for. I had a quick
> look in Gultronic$ on TCR, but balked at them asking 725 quid for a
> 12GB DDS-3 drive. Can anyone suggest something else that might do, at a
> more reasonable price? If pushed, I could probably get away with 8GB
> for now, but ideally I'd like more to allow for future expansion.

I too like my SCSI but if you are going to do back ups seriously consider
IDE storage arrays apart from the initial drive cost you have no on going
overheads unlike tape. Two 80GB IDE drives in a mirror array will give you
redundancy so if the one drive goes you can still recover your data.  The
solution is very scalable as well.  What ever you decide to do you can
build a basic storage array for half the price of the tape drive you
mentioned.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk