IPv6, was Re: DNS was [Gllug] IPSec

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Wed Feb 13 16:12:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, David Damerell wrote:

> On Wednesday, 13 Feb 2002, William Palfreman wrote:
> >For udp.  A tcp zone transfer could be much bigger,
>
> Not just a zone transfer. _Any_ DNS response will use TCP if it
> exceeds the maximum size for a UDP response. This is particularly
> likely with IPV6, owing to the large size of the addresses and some of
> the other monkeying around with the DNS that comes with it.

Drifting sideways, how good is IPv6 support in Linux now?  I should be
able to get set up with a colo box in the next few months, and I've been
desperate to get an IPv6 address block for _ages_.  I expect the routers
round here don't support it, but it should be possible to encapsulate it
over IPv4 to other v6 places.  Then I'll run it down my (as yet un-got)
ADSL line and hook up my fridge (hooray!).  I would definitely be quite
happy to be offering experimental IPv6 services in about 3 months time
if anyone else is interested.

Bill.

--
W. Palfreman. 		http://www.palfreman.com/william/
Tel: 0771 355 0354	PGP ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk