[Gllug] scan.co.uk

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Thu Feb 7 15:40:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:55:11PM +0000, Lee Blackwell wrote:
 > Anyone order hardware from these people?
 > Another list I'm on has just been through a huge group rant regarding how
 > bad they are when it comes to returns & customer support.
 > Quite amusing as the scan people were cc'd on the rants... ;-)
 > Anyone else have any experience with this company?

 I bought two IBM hard disks from them a while back.
 On arrival, I plugged them in, and did the usual tests I
 do when getting a new drive.  One of them died within about
 10 minutes, starting to make rattling noises, and reporting
 seek errors and the like. Not good.

 Rang up scan, got a returns number, sent it off the same day.
 Then.. silence. After waiting in the phone queue for half hour
 each time I got "we've not looked at it yet".
 After a week, they were "still looking at it".
 A fortnight later when I asked for a refund, they had magically
 shipped it 'that day'.  A few days later a replacement turned up.

 If you're lucky and whatever you bought works, great.
 If you have to go through their returns dept, I pity you.
 This wasn't an isolated case either, I know several others
 who have been waiting /months/ to get CD writers replaced for eg.
 Scary. Given the hassle involved from last experiences with them
 these days I'd rather take a chance with a vendor from TCR fairs.

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk