[Gllug] Using mutt with screen

Jim Cheetham jim.gllug at gonzul.org
Thu Feb 28 11:00:02 UTC 2002

I use screen pretty much all the time I'm connected to my (remote)
machine, where I read my email with mutt.

The most annoying thing it when I'm creating an eipc email, and I want
to go check the mailboxes, or just do something else for a while.

I can easily postpone the message, but then there's the risk of
forgetting about it ...

So I wondered if I could get mutt to farm out the message compose
facility to a separate screen session, probably by invoking another copy
of mutt (screen -t "Mutt Compose" mutt -R -s"" works well for this) -
but I can't find a way to achieve this ... any advice?

I tried farming the editor out to a screen, with set editor='screen
vim', but although a vim opened up in a new screen, mutt decided that
I'd aborted the edit session, presumably when it forked and exited ...

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk