[Gllug] RHCE - worth doing?

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Mon Feb 4 14:30:34 UTC 2002

I'd personally go for LPI since if you go for RHCE then you are going to be
a bit specific to RH. At least with LPI you are going to learn an all
rounder. And lets be honest lots of companies use different distros from
Slackware/Debian through to Mandrake/RH/SuSe (sorry if I've ommited
someone's favourite distro). The other thing is I wonder how theoretical a
linux course can be. I'd suspect most of them are pretty practical since
linux is practical. It's not as if you are going to learn some imaginary OS
.

Tushar

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:30:27PM +0000, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:06:40 +0000 (GMT) Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:
>
> > > Sair/GNU Linux	www.linuxcertification.com (Wave Technologies)
> > > LPI		www.lpi.org
> > > BrainBench	www.brainbench.com
> >
> > I have this one as well as RHCE, and although not a bad one, cannot
> > compare to RHCE.
>
> Fair enough - I'll give it a miss :)
>
> > > Linux+		www.comptia.org		(CompTIA)
> >
> > I assume these exams are good as a test of theoretical knowledge, and
> > they don't really compete with RHCE.
>
> I'm not a theory person - I've always been pratical and hands-on with
> stuff.  Hence why I dropped out of uni - I was never a good academic.
> > > The RHCE is very practical exam while the others are multiguess.
> > > Really depends on your prospective employer if it is worth it.
> >
> > RHCE has been rated the best certification by Certification Magazine in
> > their January 2002 magazine:
>
> There's a Certification Magazine?!  Just goes to show you the sort of
> weird and wonderful things people publish these days...
> > The RHCE is a 6 hour practical exam.  2.5 hours are spent on debugging
> > problems, one hour is multiple choise, and finally 2.5 hours to install
> > and set up services to specifications.  The exam tests your ability to
> > administrate a system, not how good you are to memorise facts (although
> > that is tested as well).  Each part requires that you to get at least
> > 50% correct, and the overall score must be 80% or above.
>
> Sounds right up my street then :)  As long as the problems are real-world
> and not something that would never happen unless you happen to be the
> unluckiest chap in the universe
> > Between 50-60% fail the exam the first time.
>
> Ouch :(  However, that hasn't put me off in the slighest.  It's good to
> know that there is a relative high standard pass mark otherwise the
> industry would be flooded with people with RHCEs who don't actually know
> very much.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Martyn
>

> --
> http://www.drake.me.uk
> http://www.martyn-drake.info (currently MIA)
> http://www.alug.org.uk
>
> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8992 7008     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk