[Gllug] Re: Jokes

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 14:30:23 UTC 2002

The old ones are the best ones.

The late great Townes Van Zandt, who drank himself to death and was once
described in the New York Times as the James Joyce of American folk music,
told the following story at most of his gigs, and the audience always
laughed in the same places, though every one knew every word of the story
before it came. I guess it's the way you tell them, and I am not Townes Van
Zandt ...

There was this guy,

he would say,

who was riding down the street in his car with 3 penguins on the back seat,
wearing those nice reflective shades like the ones that the cops wear. The
one on the left looked out the window at the faces of the people in the
street. The one on the right looked out the other side, scanning the street
up and down, and the third stared straight ahead, looking to see where they
were going.

A cop saw them and shouted at the driver,

"Hey, hey, stop that car. What do you think you are doing? You can't do
that here. Hey, take those birds down to the zoo, and I'll pretend I
haven't seen anything".

"Yes Officer, sir. I'll do that, sir. That's a good idea".

The next day the guy was out in his car again, driving down the same street
as the day before, and the penguins were all as they were before, standing
on the back seat wearing shades. The one on the left looked out the window
at the faces of the people in the street. The one on the right looked out
the other side, scanning the street up and down, and the third stared
straight ahead, looking to see where they were going. And the officer saw
them again.

"Hey, hey", he shouted. "Stop that car. I thought I told you to take those
birds down to the zoo".

Yes Offcer, I did sir,
he said, gulping. "Yesterday, I took them to the zoo. Today I'm taking them
down to the beach".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk