[Gllug] RHCE - worth doing?

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon Feb 4 13:30:27 UTC 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:06:40 +0000 (GMT) Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:

> > Sair/GNU Linux	www.linuxcertification.com (Wave Technologies)
> > LPI		www.lpi.org
> > BrainBench	www.brainbench.com
>
> I have this one as well as RHCE, and although not a bad one, cannot
> compare to RHCE.

Fair enough - I'll give it a miss :)

> > Linux+		www.comptia.org		(CompTIA)
>
> I assume these exams are good as a test of theoretical knowledge, and
> they don't really compete with RHCE.

I'm not a theory person - I've always been pratical and hands-on with
stuff.  Hence why I dropped out of uni - I was never a good academic.
> > The RHCE is very practical exam while the others are multiguess.
> > Really depends on your prospective employer if it is worth it.
>
> RHCE has been rated the best certification by Certification Magazine in
> their January 2002 magazine:

There's a Certification Magazine?!  Just goes to show you the sort of
weird and wonderful things people publish these days...
> The RHCE is a 6 hour practical exam.  2.5 hours are spent on debugging
> problems, one hour is multiple choise, and finally 2.5 hours to install
> and set up services to specifications.  The exam tests your ability to
> administrate a system, not how good you are to memorise facts (although
> that is tested as well).  Each part requires that you to get at least
> 50% correct, and the overall score must be 80% or above.

Sounds right up my street then :)  As long as the problems are real-world
and not something that would never happen unless you happen to be the
unluckiest chap in the universe
> Between 50-60% fail the exam the first time.

Ouch :(  However, that hasn't put me off in the slighest.  It's good to
know that there is a relative high standard pass mark otherwise the
industry would be flooded with people with RHCEs who don't actually know
very much.

Regards,

	Martyn

--