[Gllug] MySQL 3.23.41 on RH7.2 - 2nd attempt

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon Feb 25 16:35:26 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:25:19 +0000 Martyn Drake wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:20 +0100 BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
>
> > I tried this with no luck.
> >
> > I ran the mysql_install_db file then did the safe_mysqld file with no
> > luck. Then grepped for the process without finding any.
> >
> > I have the /var/lib/mysql directory too. All the files that my 6.2 box
> > has are present on the 7.2 box - except for new databases on the 6.2
> > box.
>
> It definately sounds like a permission problem - make sure that
> /var/lib/mysql is owned by user "mysql" (and make sure that you do have
> a"mysql" user on the system).  Likewise for the
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock file.

While I'm at it, make sure that the contents of /usr/local/var/mysql (or
whever the main database files reside - it'll vary from system to system)
is owned by user "mysql".  MySQL is a stickler for permissions.

If you try and run mysql_installdb as root, it'll install mysql database
with root permissions into /usr/local/var/mysql.  That won't do at all -
you'll need to ensure that everything is owned by the "mysql" user.

Regards,

	Martyn

--
Linux 2.4.17 #1 Fri Feb 15 13:32:44 GMT 2002 i686 unknown

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk