[Gllug] Unix Mailbox format / Exchange POP3 connector etc.

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 6 11:36:36 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 5 Feb 2002, Jake Jellinek wrote:
[Mailbox format]
>Of course, I know what the format is (a number of man pages describe it for
>various mail software), but I was hoping to find it clearly defined
>somewhere because we have a customer who is telling us that Qmail is not
>rfc2822 compliant. (yeah right, Qmail not RFC complaint..)

Well, let's knock this one on the head; RFC2822 says _nothing_ about
mailbox format, only about the format of mail messages. As you
correctly deduce, what RFC2822 says therefore has nothing to do with
what mailboxes should contain.

However, the expectation (see, for instance, the Hypermail man page)
is that UNIX mailboxes are RFC822-compliant articles separated by
lines such as "\nFrom person at site Mon Jan 10 12:34:56 1994".

In other words, the expectation is that mailboxes _do_ contain lines
of the form 'From<no colon here>' - as well as the 'From:' lines in
the mail messages.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk