[Gllug] Vim

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Feb 19 10:11:40 UTC 2002

>On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:45:14AM -0000, Jackson, Harry wrote:
>> Another Vim question. When I use the "u" command in vim I normally expect it
>> to undo repeatedly instead of undoing the undo if that makes sense. I have
>> had a look at the help files and it would seem that I am in vi compatible
>> mode for undo and need to remove some option flags. I have tried doing this
>> to no avail. Has anyone out there had a similar problem or know the cure.
>
>AFAIK, vi only has one level of undo... which bytes!

Genuine vi only has one level of undo. Versions of vi that people
actually *use* (vim, nvi, xvi etc.) all have multiple undo levels.

Anyway, in answer to the origianl question, ":set nocompatible" will
achieve what you're after. Remove the colon and put it in your
$HOME/.vimrc to make it permanent.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk