[Gllug] cdrecord and atip/writing speed problems

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Feb 14 16:47:42 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:42:51 -0000 Jackson, Harry wrote:

> I have a 16x10x40 speed writer that is ok with cdr's but insists on
> writing all cdrw at 8 speed. I though this was the writer being smart
> and telling me that the media will not support 10 speed or that the
> sustainable rate will not be sufficient. There goes that theory.

I'm trying to burn two CDs (Mandrake 8.2 beta 2, for doing a bit of
testing - although a Red Hat man at heart, I do like Mandrake just a
little bit!) and it's taking nearly two hours to burn both CDs thanks to
cdrecord's insistance on burning them at 4x speed regardless of whatever
speed I tell it to burn on the the command line, or through using
XCDRoast.

I just wish I could burn CDs through one of my VMWare Windows 2000
sessions right now, but of course CD-RW is not supported even in raw
access mode under VMWare 3.0.

Regards,

	Martyn

--